If you have dark skin, your skin care needs are going to be different than those of a lighter-skinned individual. The extra melanin in your cells serves to give you greater protection from damage from the sun, but darker skin has a tendency to dry out more easily. With this in mind, consider the following tips:
- Cleanse Once a Day: Washing too often serves to deplete your moisture.
Exfoliate Rarely: Exfoliation is not a big priority for you. If you want to exfoliate, seek out a gentle formula.
- Moisturize Frequently: A dark-skinned woman can benefit from applying an emollient moisturizer several times a day. Look for products with glycerin, hyaluronic acid, or dimethicone.
- Treat Acne Carefully: Acne treatments dry out your skin. If you struggle with acne, try to focus your cleansers only on your trouble spots.
- Don’t Forget Sunscreen!: Though you are less susceptible to sunburns, certain forms of skin cancer, and other sun-based damage, it has been found that dark skin is actually more vulnerable to malignant melanoma. Therefore, don’t forget to wear sunscreen when appropriate. Look for a broad spectrum product.
- Botox Works: Everyone can derive the same benefits from Botox, regardless of skin tone. Contact our Botox clinic in Tacoma for more.